pa2a.org


Share Thread:  
Be safe working on any kind of machinery!
#1
I just got back from a horrendous ordeal from working on my truck that is a good reminder to everyone to be safe when working on any kind of equipment. I was changing the fuel filter on my truck. I clamped off the fuel line on the tank side with a pair of vise grips that I rested on the frame while I was disconnecting the fuel line from the other side of the filter. While I was jerking the tube loose I dislodged the pair of vise grips that was resting on the frame and the rubber gas line fell down from the frame with it and poured a little bit of gasoline .....directly into my ear... as my head was sideways on the ground under the truck. OMG! Instantly it felt like I had acid eating away at my brain the moment the gas got inside my ear! The pain was absolutely binding and I was terrified I was going to go deaf in that ear or worse. I was having a hard time running and I crashed into a couple things just trying to rush into the house to spray water into my ear. I sat in the shower with the shower head spraying into my ear for about 10 mins, afterwards still in agony I contacted a family friend who is an ENT doc (it took me 4 tries just to press the right numbers on the phone because I was in so much pain). It was almost as if someone had just lit a match and dropped it into my ear. Apparently there isn't anything they can really do except flush it out with saline. There shouldn't be any permanent damage to my hearing once the swelling from the irritation goes down. It still hurts quite a bit, but damn I never want to go through that again.

Just a reminder to stay safe while working on your stuff out there! I can tell you for sure that I won't be letting that happen again. The level of pain was absolutely unreal, it was like being tortured for hours until it subsided I've never felt anything like that before. On the plus side though, I won't be having any issues with ear wax for quite a while in that ear since the gas appears to just have melted all of it away. Angel
The forum poster formerly known as Emoticon...
Reply
#2
I also hope you had disconnected your battery before you started that project. Glad you're going to be ok though. I've certainly had my share of incidents in working in the garage.
Reply
#3
Ouch!!!! Sad
Error 396: Signature cannot be found.
Reply
#4
I did something like that once while changing a fuel pump on a 72 Cougar. I was lying on my back with the pump above and fumbled it while removing it from the engine block. The gas that was still inside the pump splashed on my cheek and rolled down into my ear. I have to credit my buddy with some quick thinking, as he ran in the house and filled his Mom's turkey baster with water and brought it back to me. After a few rinses I was ok but that burning, stingy pain is quite an unpleasant sensation. I was much more careful working around fuel systems after that.
Ammunition, it's the new lead bullion. Buy it cheap and stack it deep.
Reply
#5
A good tip might be to wear earplugs when doing that kind of work in the future.
Reply
#6
streaker69;148397 Wrote:A good tip might be to wear earplugs when doing that kind of work in the future.

Yeah it never would have occurred to me to protect my ears. I had glasses on, but I never imagined that a little gas in your ear would almost put you on the floor for hours.
The forum poster formerly known as Emoticon...
Reply
#7
Next time just drink the gasoline instead, like normal people...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZZa2Ng30Rg
[Image: picsay-1358258813.jpg]
Reply
#8
You know I though I'd love to meet the bastard engineer who decided you should require a special filter removal tool to retract the teeth for Ford's proprietary filter "quick release" connectors and dump a bunch of gas in their ear for thinking that this was a better solution than just releasing some spring tube clamps with a pair of needle nose like almost every other car.

Fucking morons, look at this thing. I was using an improvised tool to remove it which was part of the reason I had to jerk around with it so much.

[Image: 2TVY1_AS01.JPG]
The forum poster formerly known as Emoticon...
Reply
#9
Worst I did lately was a battery quick disconnect on my new camper. As I was finishing up and putting the connector on the negative terminal I laughed to myself "those fools and their plastic terminal wrenches" right before my steel wrench hit the positive and I sparked it.

Felt that jolt all the way up my arm an in the back of my head...scared the bejesus out of me.

Not as horrible as gas in the ear, something I hope to never feel. Might not hurt to get checked out to be safe.
Vampire pig man since September 2012
Reply
#10
Camper;148406 Wrote:Worst I did lately was a battery quick disconnect on my new camper. As I was finishing up and putting the connector on the negative terminal I laughed to myself "those fools and their plastic terminal wrenches" right before my steel wrench hit the positive and I sparked it.

Felt that jolt all the way up my arm an in the back of my head...scared the bejesus out of me.

Not as horrible as gas in the ear, something I hope to never feel. Might not hurt to get checked out to be safe.

Growing up, I've become immune to reacting to getting shocked. It's happened so many times it just shrug it off and move on. I've gotten hit from 9vdc up to 1500vdc, as well as a 900vac.
Reply






Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Colloidal silver: Is it safe or effective? das 4 1,146 10-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Last Post: PA Rifleman



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Software by MyBB, © 2002-2015 MyBB Group.
Template by Modogodo Design.