Share Thread:  
Man with guns shoots at police in standoff. Was mad at a local Newspaper

Sounds like this guy had a lot of issues. Sounds like the cops remained level headed and did their best to apprehend the guy without shooting anyone.

UPPER DARBY >> After ducking bullets fired by 80-year-old Joseph Smith during a standoff at the Lansdowne Towers apartments Wednesday night, police were able to apprehend him without firing a single shot.

It wasn’t easy though.

“It took six of us to take him into custody,” said police Superintendent Michael Chitwood on Thursday. “At the end of the day, nobody got hurt. It was a great job by police.”

The standoff unfolded at about 8:30 p.m. Wednesday when police were dispatched to the complex in the 700 block of Providence Road for a barricaded subject. Smith, Chitwood said, had barricaded himself inside of his third-floor apartment, saying he had guns, and threatening to kill anyone who tried to come inside.

When police arrived, Smith allegedly began shooting at them from his third-floor apartment in D Building. He fired at least eight to 10 shots at the officers, Chitwood said.

Police evacuated some of the apartments and homes nearby as Capt. Thomas Johnson Jr. tried to negotiate with Smith. When the negotiations stalled and Smith allegedly continued to fire random shots, police decided to fire tear gas into the apartment.

Minutes later there was a loud boom and a bright flash. SWAT officers stormed the apartment. Smith had apparently moved from where he had been firing the shots and was in another part of the apartment, police said.

“There was one gunshot, which we assumed was a suicide,” Chitwood said. “It was a rouse just to bring us in.”

They tossed a flash bomb in the room where the shot came from then kicked in the door. They found Smith on the floor on all fours with a gun in his hand by his knee, police said. He was ordered to drop the weapon.

“I don’t need the gun now,” he said, according to Chitwood. “Come and get me.”

The burly 80-year-old put up quite a fight. It took six officers to subdue him, authorities said.

Police subsequently obtained a search warrant for the apartment. They confiscated a fully loaded 9 mm handgun and a fully loaded .22-caliber rifle, Chitwood said, adding that both weapons had one round in the chamber.

Smith was taken to a local hospital for treatment of minor wrist injuries. No one else was injured.

Authorities said Smith apparently had a beef with the Philadelphia Inquirer and repeatedly stated he had lost money in the stock market. His family told authorities he had a sleep disorder and not slept for days.

Smith was arraigned Thursday on charges including possession of an instrument of crime, possession of a weapon, reckless endangerment, terroristic threats, discharge of a firearm into an occupied structure, resisting arrest, bomb threats, aggravated assault and assault of a law enforcement officer. He was remanded to Delaware County prison in lieu of 10 percent of $250,000 bail.

~fixed broken link ~~ soberbyker
Everytime we look the other way when someone else loses rights we disagree with, we make it easier to lose the rights we support.


Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Local gun control worked to halt a straw purchase pinhead1979 6 1,729 07-17-2014, 08:38 AM
Last Post: ExcelToExcel
  Local kids robbed of candy at gunpoint RugerGirl 0 1,661 11-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Last Post: RugerGirl
  Tacony deli owner fatally shoots would-be robber priell3 1 750 02-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Last Post: streaker69
  Girl, 5 shoots herself in foot in Kensington Pocketprotector 4 1,113 12-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Last Post: RugerGirl
  Woman shoots 17-year-old who broke into house, tried to stab her middlefinger 6 1,371 11-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Last Post: PisnNapalm

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Software by MyBB, © 2002-2015 MyBB Group.
Template by Modogodo Design.